Here’s my first confession of this blog post – I don’t have $150 to spend on a jacket from Anthropologie. But when I saw the Faravel Moto Jacket on Pinterest, I was inspired. Not to find $150 to buy the jacket, but to make one for myself! That’s one of my primary motivators for sewing – perfect fit, unique fabrics, and the ability to use expensive pieces for inspiration!
After months of swooning over this jacket and searching for the right base pattern, I decided to give it a go with the Harbor Hoodie from New Horizons. Find the pattern here: https://newhorizonsdesigns.com/product/harbor-hoodie/?affiliates=e00da03b685a0dd18fb6a08af0923de0 The lines and shaping of the pattern were right and I was pretty sure I could adjust the front pattern piece and add the pockets.
I’m fairly new to hacking patterns, so I wasn’t sure how successful my first attempt was going to be. I examined line drawings of moto jackets that I found online for what the front piece should look like and added that onto the front piece of the Harbor when I traced it onto my (new from Joann on Black Friday) pattern interfacing. I basted the pieces together to check fit and was thrilled to find that it looked pretty close to what I was going for! I made some pocket pieces the size and shape of the ones on my inspiration jacket and figured out the placement. The only other change I made was to adjust the hem length – moto jackets seem to be a bit more cropped and hit in the mid hip area. I actually didn’t cut that length off – I hemmed it and then folded it over to the front to make a “band” of sorts (actually more like a giant binding). It was bulky and unfinished looking and prompted me to do a bunch of top stitching which, it turns out, really adds to the moto flair of the jacket.
Here’s my second confession – I haven’t added a closure on the jacket yet. The original has a zipper, but I wasn’t sure how well a zipper would hold on one layer of fleece. I pondered buttons, but if I didn’t like them it would be difficult to undo. Then I got stumped on which piece goes on top (right over left or left over right). I was prompted to read some interesting historical accounts on why women’s jackets are traditionally buttoned right over left and men’s were left over right – the most interesting had to do with a man’s necessity to draw his sword from his left hip without snagging it on his coat. Thus I decided, I would do left over right because I’m on a bit of a “down with the patriarchy” gig right now. I wore this coat all day and it was incredibly warm and comfortable and I think by the end of the weekend I will have a plan for how to add a closure.
Here’s my third confession – I’m going to make a few more of these. I’m tempted to try one in stretch woven and will make my next one with a lining (as the pattern is designed for and as my inspiration picture has). My main takeaway from this project – I’ve always loved the coziness of the Harbor Hoodie and, when you have a good base pattern to start from, amazing things can happen. You know I’m all about versatility and options in a pattern – sometimes that can mean redrawing a few lines to create a new look. If I can do it, you can too! Let me know if you’d be interested in a tutorial and I can try to post some pictures soon of my adjusted pattern piece and details on how I finished it. Cheers to hacking (and staying warm)!